Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The post where I whine and complain

It all started at 3 1/2 weeks prego - seriously who starts feeling sick that early?  But that's how I knew  - or hoped I knew - that I was finally pregnant.

At first it was hit and miss, the nausea would come and go.  And it was manageable.

By 6 1/2 weeks it was debilitating.

And at 7 weeks I was puking and couldn't get out of bed.  That's when I couldn't remember why I thought I could do this again.  And that's when I called the doc and begged for drugs.  It went something like this:
(me struggling to talk through the tears) "I'm pregnant and I'm throwing up and my husband is a resident and I have two kids and I can't get out of bed"
They gave me the drugs.

But, the drugs did not turn out to be the miracle I was hoping for.  Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for'em.  But all they really did was turn the pukes into dry heaves.  Better than nothing but...

I'm almost 15 weeks
still sick
still miserable

And so somewhere in the middle of 7 weeks and now I just gave up.  No more trying to function.  

My number one priority became, and remains:
Reduce the misery
Do whatever it takes to reduce the misery

And so I spend most of my time on the couch, wearing the same black sweats everyday
My kids spend their time watching tv, eating too much junk food, destroying the house, and otherwise running wild
Thus, my busy/exhausted/burnt out intern of a husband comes home to a non-functioning, depressed wife, 2 stir-crazy children, a wreck of a house, and no food.


Luckily for us, Paul spends his one day off a week cleaning, shopping, cooking, and taking the kids to the park.

And luckily for us I have wonderful friends who've invited my kids over for many a playdate so they can do normal kid stuff and I can get some peace and quiet.

And luckily, I had another ultrasound today (one where the baby actually looks like a human baby) and I remembered why we're doing all of this.

And I'm grateful.


Even if I did dry-heave in the aisles of Target last week.

15 comments:

Rachel said...

OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH!!! I can't believe your pregnant! WOW! I am SO happy for you guys! Congrats! Sorry you're feeling so crummy though! I hated that part of pregnancy too! But you know as well as I do that the end is in sight and one morning, you'll wake up and have your energy back, and the puking will stop! Good luck! Take care of yourself!

Ginger said...

Oh Summer I wish I lived closer so I could come and help you!! I'm so sorry. Hang in there, it will end eventually...hopefully before Newport Beach!! Loves.

mandy* said...

You poor thing!!!!!! I'll pray that you feel better soon so you can be a normal, fun mom again. Look at the upside, you may be the first woman to ever blog about dry heaving at Target. There has got to be some sort of award for that, right??!?

[BrookeO] said...

Oh Sum. I need another turn with the kiddos.

I am so sorry!

Tiffany said...

I'm so so so sorry sister :( I feel so bad for you and wish I lived closer so I could come help you! What a good husband Paul is to do all that stuff on his day off :)
I'm glad your ultrasound went well! I will be praying for you to feel better soon! Love you and miss you!

Carrie Anne said...

you whine & complain all you want, honey, b/c i know you are probably feeling so miserable!!!! oh i hope you feel better so so soon!!! i'm so sorry you're so sick! dang it! loved your CA post...what a super fun time for you!!! i'm glad you got to go! good luck these next few weeks...i hope some of the misery lifts SOON!:)

Sarah said...

I totally did a whining and complaining post, too! It's good to get it out sometimes. You poor girl! I am so sorry it has been so crappy for you. Feeling better has got to be just around the corner, it has to be. I hope you feel better so soon. I wish I were closer to help with your kids, too!

Faye said...

Hang in there! I'm anxiously awaiting that phone call when you tell me you finally feel good again. We love you!

Lynnette said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a crazy family right now. Dave would be really grateful for a REAL dinner, maybe in a couple of more weeks. Hang in there - You sound way more sick than I am and I still can't function normally!

Lezli said...

Oh Summer - I feel so sorry for you. I hope you're feeling better soon. . . .love you!

Elise said...

Oh my friend. I call a turn when I get home! We'd love to have N and A come and play. Lots of people say they start to feel better about week 17... maybe???

montanawildflower said...

Summer - sure hope you start to feel better real soon. Wished we lived closer so I could help out.

gregandlaura said...

OH Summer - I feel you pain!! I am so surprised you still are sick!! I hope it ends soon!!!

Lisa said...

Summer!! Congratulations! I'm sorry you're so sick. Being pregnant during intern year - who does that?? (Wait, we did that) I hope you get feeling better. I have so many questions about Rochester and I keep forgetting to write them down, but I will soon and I'll email them to you. I hope you get feeling better soon.

Katee Corpron said...

Hi Summer, Congrats and I'm sorry you're so darn sick. We are actually expecting our third also...another boy in August. I hope you get feeling better soon. Ammon and Caleb still talk about playing with Noah and Alex. Wish we were closer so I could take them now.