Sunday, July 06, 2008

Here we go...

It's official.  Paul has started residency - the "real" part anyways.  
He actually started a few weeks ago but the first 2 weeks were orientation.  And then, as luck would have it, Paul was assigned to the "float" pool for the first 2 weeks. (Float = wear a pager, don't leave town, could be called in at anytime).  Of course, it being the first 2 weeks of residency, it was unlikely that he'd be called in...which was true of the first week.  Yesterday began Paul's 2nd week of float and he's covering for someone in the MICU (medical intensive care unit) all week.  After that he'll be in the ER for a month.  Then a month of ???  I can't remember what comes next.  I'm just trying to take it one day at a time right now.  

Intern year (first year of residency) is supposed to be the worst.  The worst part of this long road of medical education/training.  And we've been told to expect...the worst.  So now the  
  • huge learning curve
  • 80+ hour work weeks
  • working nights, holidays, weekends
  • 36-hour shifts
  • major stress
  • utter exhaustion
begin for Paul, and the
  • not a lot of help/breaks from the kids
  • no real "weekend" because it's all the same
  • church by myself with 2 kids
  • taking care of everything
  • stress and exhaustion
  • feeling like a single-mom
begins for me.  

I'd take my job ANYDAY over what Paul does.  I seriously don't know how he does it but I'm so grateful that he does!  I wouldn't want to be anywhere else right now and I'm glad to be living this crazy life with him! (remind me later that I said that)

The kids already miss their daddy - but we're excited for you too.  And we'll be just fine : ) 

Love you Honey!  Can't wait to see you tonight (maybe...hopefully)!

5 comments:

montanawildflower said...

Good luck with all the "change" coming up. You guys will come through it all making it look so easy.

[BrookeO] said...

Good Luck. You are going to be just fine I know it. (and I'm not just saying that b/c I'm your friend, but b/c I've done it and I know you can.)

Lexie said...

Good luck, you really will do great! I know each program is different, but our intern year wasn't as bad I expected (though it's always easier to say that when it's over). It will be crazy, but it will also go fast, and before you know it you'll be thinking, "Wow, we're second years!"

Lori said...

I just wanted to add my good luck to you guys too. Thats probably the last picture you'll have of Paul and the kids for at least 4 years :) Just kidding Summer!

ClevelandRocks said...

Great post, Summer. Good luck!!!:)