Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Missing Home

I am missing home tonight and therefore felt the need to blog. For some reason that makes me feel a little closer to home. I do plan on posting about our Thanksgiving and the rest of our trip thus far but I am in the process of acquiring photos from family members so that will have to wait a little bit longer. But this post could not wait.

I just wanted to say how much I love our life in Cleveland. I miss our cozy little apartment. I miss our daily routine. I miss our friends. At the same time, I am very grateful for the time we are spending right now with extended family. It's so fun to watch the kids interact with and strengthen their relationships with their grandmas and grandpas and aunts and uncles and cousin. I am grateful to our families for opening their homes to us, for making time for us, for entertaining us, and for going out of their way to make us feel comfortable. We are blessed with wonderful families. But, there's just no way around it - things gets pretty chaotic being on the road, changing locations, living out of a suitcase and having so many other people around all the time. Fun, but stressful with 2 little kids in tow (who are having a blast but also missing home). It makes our life in Cleveland seem peaceful, quiet, and serene - which, I have to remind myself, it never is : )

I wanted to write about this tonight so that when I get back home I will remember to be grateful for my life there. The next time I am bored, stressed out, stir-crazy or just wanting to escape from it all I will remember how much I am missing all of that right now.

I think it's a good sign that I miss home so much. It means we've done a good job of making Cleveland our family's home. But, although there are people and things I miss that are specific to Cleveland, home to me is wherever my own little family unit is. And so I am confident that wherever residency happens to take us will soon feel like home too. This confidence also comes from knowing that wherever we go we will have the gospel and a ward family. This has come to mean so much to me and I am so grateful for the blessings of the gospel.

So, to our friends in Cleveland and to my regular blogging-buddies, we are thinking of you and missing you all. Hope you are all enjoying the holidays!

6 comments:

Miriam said...

We miss you too and hope you are having a good time despite all of the craziness! See you when you get back next year! (I can't believe it is almost 2008!)

B-Hams said...

We miss you a ton to! The primary really misses Noah! He is such a joy to have around, you are so lucky to be his mom! I miss the little Noah-isms he is so funny!

The Larsons said...

So fun to read this blog, because this is totally how I feel. We LOVED it there! It was totally home. We miss it so much, but now this is home. I know you'll do fine with the transition...but I have to say I also was amazed at how Cleveland really grew on me!

Carrie Anne said...

I still miss Cleveland all the time, too...and how long have I been away? It's funny how that city makes so many people feel like it's home and you get used to all the perks it offers. I know that feeling of living out of suitcases for what seems like days on end. But you are right, home is with your little family and how lucky most of us are to have that. I hope you continue to enjoy your trip with lots and lots of family! Thanks for the blog...I've been waiting.:) I miss my regular Summer blogs.:)

Elise said...

We miss you guys too! I know what you mean about it being a bitter sweet time visiting family, it's so fun, but also so hard espeically when you're husbandless. How are interviews going for Paul? Can't wait until you guys are back!

ashley said...

I love this post, I felt like it was me talking! You look so cute as always, love the hair it is getting so long who cuts it?