Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday

I didn't get around to posting this on Monday - but what a great day!  The weather was gorgeous!  Who knew that 50 degree weather could be called gorgeous and warm?  Not me - in California that's winter, but in Cleveland it's a different story.  I even got to go running!  For the first time in almost 3 months!  I was worried I'd be too out of shape to make my regular route around the lake (just short of 3 miles) but I did it!  Granted, it's 2 days later and I can hardly walk I'm so sore - but still, I did it!  And it felt great - at the time.  When I got back I was holding Alex - she'd had a bath that morning which makes her hair really curly and cute (you know, before she sleeps on it or gets food in it).  This was our conversation:

Me:  Alex, your hair is so pretty!

Alex (running her fingers through my ponytailed, sweaty hair):  Yours is not.  

She said this with a smile, in her sweetest little voice, it was so funny.

Later that day, Paul and I took the kids out to play.  Noah rode his bike around the block while Alex rode in the stroller and then we took another trip around the block, the kids running wild.  They loved it!  It was so funny because they were shouting things out like, "Tree!" "Squirrel!" "Bird!" "Puddle!"  as if they'd never seen anything like it before.  It's definitely been a long winter - and unfortunately it's not over.  As was made clear the very next day by the terrible ice storm.  And then today I woke up to about a foot of snow.  Ok, so I haven't actually been outside today but it looks like a foot of snow from my second-story window.  So it's back to making forts, pretend play, reading books, and me trying not to let the tv entertain the kids all day.

Sidenote:  I had planned on making banana bread today.  I was told that you can freeze brown bananas and I had finally accumulated enough to make bread - so last night I took the bananas out of the freezer to thaw and...they liquefied.  What the heck?  Obviously I threw them away but I'd like to know, for future reference, can you really freeze brown bananas?  If so, what did I do wrong?  We're all really dissapointed there'll be no banana bread today.  On a day like today you really need something to look forward to, a little pick-me-up.  I'm currently fighting the temptation to make a big batch of cookies.  

5 comments:

Michele said...

I have frozen brown bananas for bread before.. in fact I have some in the freezer now, and mine have never liquified, but they are pretty gross when you put them in. Maybe you just have weird bananas in cleveland. That is another reason you should probably just live in utah. Maybe you should try not to thaw them overnight next time. It probably only takes a few hours for them to soften. And go ahead.. make a batch of cookies. I know I would if I could eat them.

Tiffany said...

Yeah. Make the cookies. Mmmmmm....and eat the cookie dough

Seriously... said...

Summer, Dustin wants the recipe for the chili you made last year for the ward emergency preparedness cook off thing (you know, the one with all the meat?). Call me about the blurb thing. It took me about a week to edit mine the way I wanted it done (I changed the layouts, fonts, added comments, etc.). Anyway...give me a call.

Faye said...

I never make banana bread – I’m sort of surprised that you do. Don’t you know that the only real comfort food contains chocolate – such as brownies and cookies. Didn’t I teach you that? Paul’s healthy ways are rubbing off on you. Maybe we need to rent Paul for our house for a while. I am finding it hard to leave my sweet tooth behind.

Lexie said...

It was so fun to chat yesterday, I hope the weather warms up again for you soon!