Friday, November 09, 2007

Day Three



This was definitely our favorite day. We drove down to Key Largo, the first of the Florida Keys, where we went snorkeling. It was awesome! They took us to a reef about 5 miles out into the ocean, which freaked me out a little bit, but it was great! We saw beautiful fish, big fish, schools of fish, and a few baracudas. I thought the baracudas were sharks at first - they were about 3 feet long and had big sharp teeth. One swam right under me and I was too afraid to even move. Paul, on the other hand, was chasing the thing down. When we all got back into the boat another snorkeler told us he'd seen a 6 foot shark. Paul was so mad that he hadn't seen one - I was so relieved!
After we went snorkeling the 4 of us decided we'd keep driving down through the keys and see how far we got. It was a beautiful drive, surrounded by water. We made it all the way to the very last key, Key West! Key West is actually closer to Havana, Cuba than it is to Miami and it's the southernmost point of the U.S. Key West was awesome. I felt like I was in the Bahamas again. We strolled throught the streets full of shops, restaraunts, and cute bed and breakfasts. Then we splurged on an amazing seafood dinnner out on a beautiful terrace with twinkling lights and a nice view. What a way to end the perfect day! After dinner we realized that, once it gets dark, the streets of Key West are full of drunk Karaoke singing people of all ages. So we decided to head back - we had a 4 1/2 hour drive ahead of us! It wasn't nearly as scenic either since it was dark. But we managed to keep each other entertained until we made it back to our place at 1am.
Sunday morning Paul and I got up early and took one last stroll along the beach, where we collected seashells for the kids (which turned out to be a huge hit, much better than any of the souvenirs we bought for them). We went to sacrament meeting and then packed up, grabbed a quick lunch, and headed to the airport. It was sad to leave but we had a fun reunion with the kids!

5 comments:

montanawildflower said...

I love all the blog updates. Yeah, Summer is back in Cleveland!!!! Thanks for all the fun stories and pictures. We especially love the grumpy picture of Paul. I'm sure DJ will find a way to use that pic as retaliation for the wet towel. Thanks!

Carissa Poyfair said...

I am so jealous you were in warm weather! I hope you were thinking about all of us freezing in Cleveland. It looks like you had a lot of fun but we're glad you're back.

Ginger said...

I was wondering where in the heck you've been! I am soooo jealous! We watch the bachelor and last week they were in Cabo at the exact beach we were on when we went on our honeymoon! Now after watching that and looking at your posts of Florida, I am having major withdrawals. Anyway... can't wait to see you guys in person! Kiss Noah and Alex for me...

Tiffany said...

I missed your blog posts too! I am glad you guys are back! It sounds like you had a lot of fun : ) BARRACUDAS!? I am terrified of those things! When we were in Hawaii, I could barely swim out that far in the ocean because I was so scared of them! I cant believe you snorkeled with them!

Kori said...

I am glad you guys had fun in Florida. I am jealous I want to go to the beach...actually anywhere! We can't wait to see you guys next month. Noah and Alex have gotten so big.