Tuesday, February 26, 2008

My Utah Trip

After Paul got home from snowmobiling we had 2 days together, including Valentine's Day, which was great.  Then Noah and I were off to Utah.  Paul had to work a little and couldn't come (if you are feeling bad for him, don't - see previous post) so I left Alex with him and had a friend watch her when Paul had to be at the hospital.  This was a tough decision for me, not to bring Alex.  I felt really bad but Paul assured me I would have much more fun without her - and considering that we were going to attend a baby blessing and the MTC bringing a 2-year old, especially mine, really wouldn't have been a good idea.  It was so hard to say goodbye to her though I was bawling at the airport!  It was especially sad because she is so attached to Noah and he was leaving her too!  Noah gave her big hugs and kisses goodbye but didn't seem sad at all.  When we got inside the airport I told him I was sad to leave Alex and I asked him if he was sad too.  He cheerfully replied, "No, I'm not sad.  I'm excited!  I'll be excited to see Alex another day!"  So funny.  Noah was really excited to go on a special trip with mommy, and I was too!  Traveling with one 4-year old was a total piece of cake, even with switching planes, a delayed flight, an almost 4-hour layover, and arriving at midnight cleveland time.  I got to READ on the airplane!  My dad and my 2 brothers surprised us by meeting us at the airport and from there we headed to the hotel to eat, hang out for awhile, and crash.  The next morning we headed up to my sister Michele's house to meet my new nephew Boston.


He is so cute!  Noah loved holding him (for about 2 minutes at a time)
Sunday was Boston's Baby Blessing, which was very nice.  We're lucky we didn't miss it!  Noah kept telling me (after the meeting had started of course) that he needed to go potty, so I made him wait until after the blessing.  Then we jumped up and ran for the bathroom, where Noah aimed very poorly and ended up covered in pee - we had to go home a little early : )
Here are the proud parents with their beautiful boy!
And here are the sisters doting on that beautiful boy!

Monday we spent the day eating and shopping.  I met up with my in-laws for dinner at the The Mandarin (yum).  Noah went home with them that night, very excited about his "sleepover" with Grandma.  I had been looking forward to a kid-free night with my family but when Noah drove off with Grandma and Grandpa I sat in my car and cried.  I missed my kids!  Don't get me wrong though, I had a great night without them!
That night we had a special FHE.  My father was able to set my brother apart as an Elder, being both his Stake President and his dad.  It was a great experience for all of us.

Tuesday morning we attended a live session at the SLC Temple - a first for everyone.  I went and picked up Noah who loved spending time with his Grandma Gunn, Aunt Ging, Aunt Kori, and Cousin Jack.  Then we spent the rest of the day with my family: shopping, eating,  and just soaking up our last day with my brother Tanner.

Wednesday morning we were off to the MTC.  Noah was riding in the car with me and my sister Tiff.  We learned on the drive down that he was a little confused about this whole experience when he said, "When are we going to be there?  How far away is Mexico?"  We (laughing) tried to explain to him again that we weren't taking him to Mexico City (where he'll be serving his mission) just to the Missionary Training Center, or the MTC.  Noah kept calling the MTC the "empty sea."  
No one in my family has ever done an MTC drop-off before so we were all a little anxious.  Ok, maybe not a little...As soon as we took the Provo exit my sister and I were hyperventilating and trying not to throw-up.  
Here we all are.  This picture is pretty cool because I can't remember the last time we had a picture of my parents and all 5 of their kids together!
And here is the handsome Elder Hunt, anxious to go!  The goodbye was heart-wrenching but Tanner was so ready!  After we'd all said our goodbyes he pushed his way through the crowd and was one of the first missionaries out the door!  Way to go Tanner!  We're so proud of you!

Noah was HORRIBLE at the MTC.  This was the only time I had a problem with him the whole trip...of course.  The other families thought he was crying because his uncle was leaving on a mission.  I didn't correct them.

Here are some things Noah DID love:
his cousin Boston
eating pink cookies
and wrestling with Grandpa and uncles (as is evident by the rosy cheeks).

My family members all flew home Wednesday night.  Noah and I stayed one more night at my sister's and took off EARLY the next morning.  It was a good time to end the trip.  It just wasn't the same without Tanner.

I'm so glad I had one more chance to create memories with my brother Tanner before his mission - and I'm so glad I was finally able to meet Boston and be there for his blessing.  Thanks mom and dad for making it all happen!

4 comments:

sara said...

Looks like it was a lot of fun!! I'm so jealous that you got to go to the Mandarin! Yum!!

Sarah said...

First of all, I can't believe that Tanner is on a mission! That means that we must be even older.... ;) And I love, love, love how good your family is at all being together and having so much fun together. That is so awesome you could all be there for Tanner and for little Boston's blessing. I love your family! :) And a night by yourself without kids? So awesome. I probably would've cried too, but I am totally jealous right now as mine are whining at me and pulling my arms to get off the computer.... ;)

Faye said...

Now I can't imagine having done the MTC and the baby blessing without you there. We were so glad we were able to make it work so that ALL of Tanner's sisters and brother were there to see him off and say goodbye. A big thanks to Paul for helping to cover on the home front to make ti work for you to be with us. Great memories!

Lexie said...

Summer, what a great trip. It sounds awesome and I'm sure Noah loved having some one-on-one Mommy time. I am jealous you were at the Mandarin in my home town, I hope you enjoyed it for me!