Tuesday, February 12, 2008

No More Crib!

Yesterday (with Daddy out of town) we made the transition...from crib and toddler bed to toddler bed and twin bed!!!  Alex isn't even 2 yet and we were hoping to keep her in the crib until we move in 3 months - but that plan got thrown out the window when Alex learned how to climb out of her crib!  
It all started about a week ago...one morning I woke up to the kids giggling and I headed into their room to check things out.  To my shock Noah AND ALEX were sitting on top of the dresser!  Noah's response was, "Look Mom, I helped Alex get out!"  Definitely not a favor I wanted.  So 2 days ago I put Alex down for her nap.  She was pretty quiet, I assumed she was sleeping, but when I checked on her I caught her mid-climb.  That's when I realized that all the things that had been sitting on top of the dresser were in her crib.  She was climbing out onto the changing table, running across it to the dresser, and hauling things back to her crib!!!  That night Alex woke up crying at 2am - I went to check on her and she was hanging halfway out of her crib.  Then at 6:30am Alex came running into my room and said, "Mommy, I got out!"  So, after escaping 3 times in 2 days I knew there was no going back.  The crib days were over.  Sad, for more than one reason: that she's growing up so fast and also that I can no longer keep her contained at naptime and in the early morning hours!  
So, yesterday, all by myself, I took down the crib, hauled in Noah's "bed" which in our house means boxspring and mattress (hey, that's what Paul and I are sleeping on), and rearranged all the furniture (multiple times).  Let me tell you, it was NOT easy to fit everything in that little room!  I was worried it wasn't going to work but I managed to pull it off.  There's not an inch of wall space left and all the furniture is butting up to each other but...it works.  


Alex is very excited about her "big girl bed"
That is, until it's time to take a nap - which hasn't happened for 2 days now!
It took Noah some time to warm up to the idea...okay he had a complete emotional breakdown.  Poor kid, he thought this meant we were moving, which he does NOT want to do.  It was so sad, I was fighting back tears as I tried to comfort him!  He eventually got on board with the idea though and is now very excited to show daddy that we "changed the room!"  He even helped me re-hang his favorite pictures: a huge world map and a dinosaur poster, both directly over his bed.  
I talked to Noah a lot about how we'd have to help Alex learn to sleep in her big girl bed now.  He was so sweet he decided to pass down his treasured, giant, stuffed Nemo which he's been sleeping with since he was 1.  Now he makes sure to give it to Alex when she goes to bed.  He also "accidentally" woke her up her first night in the bed at 10pm because he was rubbing her back and filling up her bed with all her babies!  Annoying, but sweet at the same time : )  
Goof Balls
I have a feeling this might be happening a lot...
I can't believe I don't have a kid in a crib!  Now if we could just get Alex out of her diapers...

9 comments:

Sarah said...

I can't believe that you did all of that by yourself!! That's a lot of work and a big transition to not have dad around for, I am so impressed, Summer! I can't believe how big both of your kids look in their big kid beds! And I was thinking about you the other day because of blurb -have you heard of it? You can slurp your whole blog and they make it into a book for you. You decide the layout and stuff. A friend of mine just did hers for all of last year and it is awesome! Totally a really cool family journal. Here's a link to their website if you want:

http://www.blurb.com/create/book/blogbook

montanawildflower said...

I love the room arrangement. Way to take the initiative and do it on your own!

Tiffany said...

Wow! I am also impressed you got all that done by yourself while Paul was gone! I have pretty much been curled up in the fetal position and crying ever since Randy left town...ha ha jk. Well sort of...I only cried twice...and I wasn't in the fetal position...: )

Tiffany said...

And by the way, I can't believe you don't have a kid in a crib anymore either! I guess that means its time for you guys to have another baby... ; )

Carrie Anne said...

Yeah for you, but GOOD LUCK! Life changes from here on out, and you're so brave to do it solo! It is SO CRAZY when you have 2 kids out of cribs, diapers, etc. That's why I'm SO NERVOUS about #3 because I'm so used to no diapers, everyone walking to the car and climbing in on their own, etc. I know I'm going to have a shock when this baby arrives.
Thanks for the sympathy on the Coke...I just can't let it go! I did so well for so long, but then you get so tired and need something to perk you up and Coke is all I want! So I have a question...did you drink Coke when you nursed? I remember you had to give up milk with Alex, but did you give up Coke? Maybe that's why you handled it so well!:) I know this kid is going to have A.D.D.! Oh well...I'll deal with that one, too! You're SO COOL SUMMER!

The Larsons said...

That is my worst nightmare...Gunner out of a crib! But, you seem to handle it with flying colors! I just can't wait to really "fit" in a place either. She is really growing up!

Unknown said...

What a big girl! How nice for Alex to have a big brother to take care of her. It reminds me so much of my brother and I. We had bunk beds but always ended up sleeping together. Noah makes me laugh every time I read a new post of yours. By the way what's going on with your residency plans? Anything final yet?

ashley said...

Congrats on the transition! My sister just did it with her little girl who just turned two and I think they went about a week without naps but it did get better!

Lexie said...

Way to go, I am so impressed that you put it all up by yourself (and that you already had the matress). I miss the days of crib naps too, but it's kind of fun to see them grow up as siblings, isn't it? If you have any advice on the out of diapers thing, I'm open to it, I still have no desire to potty train Kastyn, i just keep hoping she'll do it herself like Lydia. Plus, I don't know if I want my gal to grow up too much yet!